Thursday 17 April 2014

AVLFC 0-2 DRBLFC – my first women’s football experience

Let me start by clarifying that the title is actually a lie and Wednesday night was my second experience of women’s football.

The first one was Team GB women’s first ever fixture against Sweden – a drab 0-0 which left me with no desire to go out of my way to watch them again. Certainly not all the way up to the Riverside Stadium in Middlesbrough, anyway.

In hindsight, I suppose it was as representative of women’s football as a scrappy goalless draw is representative of the Premier League.

So, back in the Midlands for Easter and aware of the opening FA Women’s Super League fixture taking place at Sutton Coldfield Town, I decided to head over to watch Villa Ladies take on Doncaster Rovers Belles.

I will be the first to admit that I don’t know half as much about women’s football as I perhaps should. I’ve only really taken a passing interest and I wasn’t a regular watcher of the European Championships in 2013.

But I do remember hearing about Doncaster Rovers dropping to the second tier of the newly-expanded Women’s Super League to make way for Manchester City, a decision which outraged many.

I was, therefore, interested to watch not only the women wearing the colours of my own childhood team, but also one of the most prestigious and successful clubs in women’s football.

I approached the game as undoubtedly countless others do; with little knowledge of the intricacies of the sport, in the hope that the match itself would educate me and inspire me to come more regularly.

By the final whistle, I had been well and truly won over.

Villa may have lost 2-0 but it was an entertaining clash which opened my eyes to the high standard the women play at and the friendly atmosphere which engulfed an impressive 307 attendees.

And for just £3 on the door, I can vouch for it being better value than some of the football produced by a certain men’s team I’ve come to be familiar with!

In all honesty this post could quite easily turn into me waxing lyrical about Doncaster Belles.

I now fully understand the furore that followed their demotion and I’ll be very surprised if they aren’t playing in the higher tier next season.

The Belles are skilful, quick and powerful. In the first half especially, they were first to every ball and swept into Villa’s box on more than one occasion.

You soon realise that it’s less women playing football, more a team of women footballers – if that makes sense.

I must also credit Villa for their resilience. They seemed to lack confidence in the first half – perhaps the enormity of the occasion made them a little nervous – and the Belles capitalised with a good deal of possession and various ventures forward.

But a seemingly inspired half-time team talk, along with the introduction of Alicia Robinson and Carly Davies after 55 minutes, bolstered their morale and for a while I wouldn’t have been surprised to see them snatch an equaliser.

In the end, a stunning first-half volley from Bethany England, and a late penalty dispatched by England international Sue Smith after Maddie Cusack felled the lively Jess Sigsworth in the box, tied up the points for the Belles.



But Villa have nothing to be ashamed of. Defensively they looked strong and I was particularly impressed with Jade Richards and Sarah Mayling.

Far worse teams than the Doncaster Belles will visit Coles Lane this season and leave with nothing – of that I am certain.

As you’d expect, the Belles were backed by vocal support, many of whom came armed with actual bells which rang vivaciously throughout.

Sitting in the Main Stand, I felt the home supporters really got behind the ladies in the second half as we came close through Richards and Davies.

There was a great vibe felt within the crowd, a welcoming and inclusive one. I’m sure there were a fair few who, like me, were properly watching women’s football for the first time and really enjoying it.

As I’m now a Cambridge resident it’ll be hard for me to catch the Villa Ladies regularly unless I move back to the Midlands, which is a shame.

But Wednesday’s game has definitely sown the seeds of interest in me and I would love to see the Villa girls do well this season.

The women’s game is continuing to grow and grow, and the revamp of the Women’s Super League seems to have coincided with much more interest in the sport.

As a media-type myself, working in women’s football isn’t something I’d previously considered, but I believe you could easily really get behind and help promote a women’s team.

This applies especially if their male counterparts are struggling in their own league – following the women closely could well be a breath of fresh air to fans looking to avoid the negativity which comes with bad results for the men’s team.

That’s how I see it as a Villa fan, anyway.

Women’s football is getting bigger. I’ve leapt resolutely onto the bandwagon and I urge you all to join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment